Image copyright RONNIE MILANO/FAVOURITE STRIKE Picture Perfect Image caption During the election campaign President Duterte said he had a “unconditional” love for his daughter, Leonor “Leni” Duterte
Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has confirmed he will run for senate in the 2022 election, saying he was “sick and tired” of running for president.
Mr Duterte said he would prefer to serve the people in the lower house.
He had previously denied running for the Senate after previously saying he wanted to contest for president in 2022.
The president is in the process of selecting candidates for the senatorial elections.
Mr Duterte, a former City Mayor, replaced the former president with Benigno Aquino Jr in 2016, after eight years of his brother’s rule.
He is the 14th Philippine president.
Image copyright CENSUS TIME MODELS / MEDIUM / @LANZA17 KADERRA CENSUS TIME MODELS/MAGGIE RAQONG KLOM GRAZE DONHES / MIDNIGHT MEDIUM/ @COMMUNITY NUSO LOST REPUTATION HER NEW PAI VERNOR / VIXENS AROUND BRASIL WHERE DO YOU LIVE? International media play big part in local election coverage around the world
During his election campaign, Mr Duterte said he had a “unconditional” love for his daughter, Leonor “Leni” Duterte, and had to spend the majority of his time in the city on a motorbike, following her on to get photo opportunities with her.
But the president said he would not spend any time campaigning for his own daughter in the 2022 elections.
“I know I am going to be doing the Senate thing. It is better for me to take care of the senate instead of spending a lot of time and money to travel,” he said.
“It will be alright… I’m sick and tired of being president. The current term is only for six years, and I am happy if I can just do congress for three to four years.”
Image copyright PHILIPPINE ASSOCIATION OF PEACEMAKERS Image caption President Duterte received the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to end Philippine drug-related violence
Last September, Mr Duterte denied running for the senate. His spokesman then said that the president would also “recount to God” the time he spent campaigning for the senate in 2016.
Mr Duterte faced calls to withdraw from his post in August after it emerged his spokesman and his peace negotiator are under investigation by the International Criminal Court (ICC) over allegations of extrajudicial killings.
Also in August, Mr Duterte’s predecessor announced his resignation following pressure from the National Commission on Human Rights (NCHR).
Mr Aquino, who has previously been critical of Mr Duterte’s presidency, said he could no longer handle the rising levels of vigilante killings.
Amnesty International has urged Philippine authorities to investigate accusations that their soldiers may have used babies as “bait” to scare the community into handing over suspects.
On Wednesday the commander of the military’s elite task force said it had investigated the case and found there was “no evidence to support the allegation of unlawful killings”.
President Duterte has said he believes there were no gunmen among the civilian victims during police operations in 2015 in the southern city of Marawi.
He also called Amnesty International a “tragicistic” NGO and an “ungrateful hypocrites”.