Written by Staff Writer, CNN
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has acknowledged that his country has re-opened nuclear talks with world powers that the country shelved under Donald Trump.
In a tweet on Friday, Zarif said that Iranian and American officials had met “in mid-December” and would continue meetings in January to discuss re-establishing nuclear talks and normalizing relations between the two countries.
“Iran has re-opened nuclear talks & the time has come to listen, learn & exchange ideas not repeat tired propaganda & suppositions,” the tweet reads.
Earlier this month, the United States canceled a 2015 nuclear deal under which Iran was obliged to curb its nuclear capabilities in exchange for the lifting of economic sanctions.
In return, the US agreed to suspend many of its economic sanctions against Iran, and continue enforcing an agreement to ensure Iran’s enrichment of uranium remained at a level permissible under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.
Iran’s regional rival, Saudi Arabia, has vowed to launch a “major war” on the Islamic Republic after Trump abandoned the agreement, which was strongly backed by both European countries and Russia.
Zarif announced that he and his American counterpart, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, would meet in Oman at the beginning of January “to restart the nuclear talks.”
Zarif is no stranger to the nuclear issue. He led Iran’s negotiation team during the 2015 deal, which was reached during the tenure of US President Barack Obama.
However, since Trump took office, he has repeatedly warned Iran to cooperate with the US or face the consequences.
Following Trump’s announcement in May that the US would withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal, Zarif called the US “extremists” and said that Washington could “forever destroy the opportunity for peace.”